LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
Flex Monitoring – CAH Financial Indicators Released
JULIANNE KIPPLE, HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
The Flex Monitoring team released the updated Critical Access Hospital (CAH) Financial Indicators Report in March 2017. The report includes a summary of the common financial indicators by state and for the nation. The report uses information from the Medicare Cost Report that Critical Access Hospitals filed during 2015.
The report can be a useful tool for benchmarking your CAH against others in your particular state or against CAHs throughout the country.
The report includes the following items:
- Profitability Indicators, including total margin and return on equity
- Liquidity Indicators, including days cash on hand and days in accounts receivable
- Capital Structure Indicators, including debt service coverage
- Revenue Indicators, including Medicare inpatient/outpatient mix and Medicare Acute inpatient cost per day
- Cost Indicators, including FTEs per occupied bed and Average Salary per FTE
- Utilization Indicators, including Average Daily Census for Swing Bed or Acute
The Flex Monitoring Team is under the federal Office of Rural Health Policy and consists of several Rural Health Research Centers. Their goal is to assist CAHs in improving access to and the quality of health care services, improving the financial performance of CAHs, and engaging rural communities in health care system development.
The Financial Indicator report can be found here: http://www.flexmonitoring.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/dsr23.pdf
The Flex Monitoring website also has useful research, tools, and articles: http://www.flexmonitoring.org/
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JULIANNE KIPPLE + HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
Julianne Kipple is a Healthcare Director at Lutz with over 10 years of professional experience in the healthcare industry. Her expertise is in accounting and consulting services for healthcare facilities, including outsourced CFO services, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, and Medicaid Disproportionate Share Surveys (DSH).
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Healthcare Accounting & Consulting
- Medicare & Medicaid Reimbursement
- Outsourced CFO Services
- Medicaid Disproportionate Share Surveys (DSH)
- Financial Support Services
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Revenue Cycle Representative
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional
- BSBA in Accounting, with high distinction, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- MBA, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- Provider Relief Fund + Where Are We Now?
- Hospital Financial Governance
- Benefits of Medicare Interim Cost Report Template for Critical Access Hospitals
- External Financial Statement Audit + Medicare Cost Report Best Practices
- Year-End Audit and Cost Report Planning, Preparation Tips
- Medicare Cost Report Electronic Filing
- Attention Kansas CAH's - Upcoming DSH Surveys
- Flex Monitoring - CAH Financial Indicators Released
- Provider Quality Reporting System (PQRS) + Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Transition Update
- CMS Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON) Form
- Hospital Board of Director Responsibilities
- Not-For-Profit Net Asset Classification Changes
- Healthcare Revenue Recognition & Self-Pay Contracts
- Changes in Accounting for Leases + the Impact on Healthcare Entities
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901