LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
CMS Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON) Form
JULIANNE KIPPLE, HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
On December 8th, CMS released the Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON) form. The intent of the form is to educate Medicare beneficiaries on their status as an outpatient versus inpatient, the related impact to their out-of-pocket expenses as an outpatient, and the potential impact of their observation status on out-of-pocket expenses if they are released to a skilled nursing facility (SNF).
Beginning on March 8, 2017 hospitals, including Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) must provide the MOON form to Medicare beneficiaries receiving outpatient observation services for more than 24 hours and within 36 hours of the patient receiving outpatient observation services or sooner if released. The form must be signed by the beneficiary or representative. There must be an oral explanation to the beneficiary along with the form. Failure to provide the MOON is a violation of the hospital’s Medicare provider agreement, which could result in the termination of that agreement.
The MOON forms can be found here: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/PaperworkReductionActof1995/PRA-Listing-Items/CMS-10611.html
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JULIANNE KIPPLE + HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
Julianne Kipple is a Healthcare Director at Lutz with over 10 years of professional experience in the healthcare industry. Her expertise is in accounting and consulting services for healthcare facilities, including outsourced CFO services, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, and Medicaid Disproportionate Share Surveys (DSH).
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Healthcare Accounting & Consulting
- Medicare & Medicaid Reimbursement
- Outsourced CFO Services
- Medicaid Disproportionate Share Surveys (DSH)
- Financial Support Services
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional
- BSBA in Accounting, with high distinction, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- MBA, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- External Financial Statement Audit + Medicare Cost Report Best Practices
- Year-End Audit and Cost Report Planning, Preparation Tips
- Medicare Cost Report Electronic Filing
- Attention Kansas CAH's - Upcoming DSH Surveys
- Flex Monitoring - CAH Financial Indicators Released
- Provider Quality Reporting System (PQRS) + Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Transition Update
- CMS Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON) Form
- Hospital Board of Director Responsibilities
- Not-For-Profit Net Asset Classification Changes
- Healthcare Revenue Recognition & Self-Pay Contracts
- Changes in Accounting for Leases + the Impact on Healthcare Entities
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901