LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
Medicare Cost Report Electronic Filing
JULIANNE KIPPLE, HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
CMS recently introduced the new Medicare Cost Report e-Filing system (MCReF). In an effort to standardize, automate, and streamline the cost report process, providers now have the option as of 5/1/2018 to electronically submit the Medicare cost report packet through an online portal. The cost report packet normally includes the ECR file, the PI file, cost report supporting workpapers, a cover letter, and the Worksheet S signature page.
One major change is the in the past CMS required an original inked signature by an officer of the provider. Now most facility types (other than RHC, CMHC, and Home Office) are able to file the signature page electronically. A valid e-signature includes printing, signing, and scanning the signature page so it can be uploaded to the portal.
Effective 7/2/2018 there will only be two CMS approved methods to submit the cost report, which is either electronically through MCReF or submission via mail or hand-delivery.
If you use a third party to file your Medicare cost report there is a process to designate that 3rd party to electronically file using the Enterprise Identity Management (EIDM) system. If you would like more information on how to designate a third party or have other questions related to the MCReF system, please feel free to contact us or CMS.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JULIANNE KIPPLE + HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
Julianne Kipple is a Healthcare Director at Lutz with over 10 years of professional experience in the healthcare industry. Her expertise is in accounting and consulting services for healthcare facilities, including outsourced CFO services, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, and Medicaid Disproportionate Share Surveys (DSH).
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Healthcare Accounting & Consulting
- Medicare & Medicaid Reimbursement
- Outsourced CFO Services
- Medicaid Disproportionate Share Surveys (DSH)
- Financial Support Services
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional
- BSBA in Accounting, with high distinction, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- MBA, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- External Financial Statement Audit + Medicare Cost Report Best Practices
- Year-End Audit and Cost Report Planning, Preparation Tips
- Medicare Cost Report Electronic Filing
- Attention Kansas CAH's - Upcoming DSH Surveys
- Flex Monitoring - CAH Financial Indicators Released
- Provider Quality Reporting System (PQRS) + Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Transition Update
- CMS Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON) Form
- Hospital Board of Director Responsibilities
- Not-For-Profit Net Asset Classification Changes
- Healthcare Revenue Recognition & Self-Pay Contracts
- Changes in Accounting for Leases + the Impact on Healthcare Entities
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901