LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
personal finances: focusing on what you can control
justin vossen, cfp®, napfa, investment adviser & principal
Like many of us, you may feel a bit disoriented, fearful, and anxious. Not only has your life been dramatically altered in the past few weeks, but the market continues to drastically swing every day. The uncertainty of it all is perhaps the most difficult thing to comprehend. While nobody has answers, we can be sure of one thing; mankind has focused all of its resources on one problem. One can hope that with a dedicated effort, positive change is on the horizon.
The disruption to the financial markets and economy is a difficult thing to gauge. Globally, many governmental programs are focused on mitigating the damage in the near term by stimulating their economy in various ways. This stimulus will provide a lubricant for the financial system in order to continue to function as normally as it can.
There is little question that there will be a recession. We have already dipped into a bear market as fast as we have seen in history. Since 1926, the average bear market lasted 22 months, while the longest bull market lasted 9 years. Bull markets follow bear markets, and much of the recovery typically comes in the front end of the bull market.
One could argue that the markets are like a rubber band, the further you pull it back the quicker and harder it snaps back. As a result, in this particular environment, we recommend that we hold steady and make sure we have enough cash to get us through the coming quarters. That way we can effectively tune out the noise, focus on long-term goals, and let the benefits of diversification play out.
To conclude, if the best advice we can provide is to hold steady and ride through these coming weeks/months, what can we be doing proactively to help our mental and financial state?
We will be contacting Lutz Financial clients to discuss a variety of the following topics:
- Gather tax filing items. This will help provide some level of certainty on payments/estimates and wrap up last year. In addition, it will allow you to plan for this coming year, as well to get closure.
- Review your home budget. Are there things you don’t need immediately? Do you have unnecessary subscriptions or payments that don’t need to be made?
- Look at tax-loss harvesting and asset location. Are there any tax plays now when the market has pulled back that you couldn’t do when greater gains were built-in?
- Should you consider a Roth IRA conversion?
- Should you reconsider you required minimum distributions for this year?
- Revisit healthcare proxies, living wills and other advanced directives.
- Make 2020 Roth/IRA contributions.
Important Disclosure Information
Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by Lutz Financial), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this newsletter will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this newsletter serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from Lutz Financial. To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. Lutz Financial is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the newsletter content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the Lutz Financial’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available upon request.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JUSTIN VOSSEN, CFP®, NAPFA + INVESTMENT ADVISER, PRINCIPAL
Justin Vossen is an Investment Adviser and Principal at Lutz Financial. With 21+ years of relevant experience, he specializes in providing wealth management and financial planning services for high net-worth families, business owners in transition, endowments and foundations. He lives in Omaha, NE, with his wife Nicole, and children Max and Kate.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Investment Advisory Services
- Comprehensive Financial Planning
- Business Owner Planning & Succession
- High Net Worth Families
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, Member
- Financial Planning Association, Member
- BSBA in Economics and Finance, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- St. Augustine Indian Mission, Board Member
- Nebraska Elementary and Secondary School Finance Authority, Board Member
- St. Patrick's Church, Trustee
- Mount Michael Booster Club Board
- Lutz Gives Back, Committee Chair
- March of Dimes Nebraska, Past Board Member
- A 100-Year Bet Gone Bad
- Am I Ready to Retire? Finding Your Sweet Spot
- 5 Retirement Strategies for Small Business Owners
- Outsmarting the Ivy League?
- An Investor's Year-End Wrap Up & Tax Prep
- Nobody Knows Anything
- Add "Brexit" to the Long List of Uncertainty
- Financial Planning for College Grads
- Fight or Flight - Lesson Learned
- Social Security: The New Rules
- Putting Volatility in Context
- The Asian and European Fronts
- Bubble Looming or a Bubble Popped
- Re-Emerging Markets?
- A Market Perspective
- Timing is Not Everything
- "Yellen" at the Fed
- Mind What Matters...Focus Efforts On What You Can Control
- What to do With a Financial Windfall
- Love Indexes - Hate the Indexes
- Do I Own a Market?
- A Practical Primer On Volatility
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901