LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
provider enrollment update for 2022
kirk delperdang, healthcare director
Medicare Provider Enrollment
The Medicare provider and supplier enrollment process is a continuous one that requires ongoing attention, lest you be impacted by an interruption in reimbursement. Covid has interrupted, pressed pause, or otherwise impacted the provider enrollment process for the last two years, the same as with every other facet of healthcare and life. There have been efforts by CMS to expedite applications or allow for temporary enrollments in various cases to aid in the battle against Covid and get more help to the front lines as fast as possible. In other cases, CMS has slowed the enrollment process, temporarily suspending revalidations to allow efforts to be focused on other areas of healthcare and healthcare finance.
Here are some recent developments at CMS that you should be aware of in the Provider Enrollment arena:
CMS has resumed its revalidation activities and processes. Consistent with overall revalidations over the last decade, this is coming in a phased approach for existing providers and suppliers that missed their revalidation due date during the PHE. CMS began mailing letters in October 2021, with due dates in early 2022.
One plus side to this revalidation is that it does not apply to providers and suppliers that received temporary billing privileges through the Medicare enrollment hotlines. However, this is only a temporary stay. Once the PHE is lifted, providers that were granted temporary billing privileges for Covid will need to submit a complete CMS-855 enrollment application to establish full Medicare billing privileges. MACs will be sending letters to specifically address these situations.
Notices – CMS will provide notice to providers and supplies in this first phase in two different ways:
- Medicare Revalidation Tool at https://data.cms.gov/revalidation and,
- Revalidation letters will be issued at least three months in advance of their due date to the correspondence address on file in your enrollment.
Ramifications – The revalidation process is again fully intact. Failure to respond by the due date results in the deactivation of Medicare billing privileges. No payments will be made for services provided while billing privileges are deactivated.
Application fees were suspended during the PHE. As of October 2021, CMS has resumed the collection of applications fees in accordance with the Medicare regulations. Please note that the application fee will continue to be waived for providers and suppliers who received temporary billing privileges through the Medicare enrollment hotlines.
Application Fee Matrix: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/applicationfeerequirementmatrixpdf.pdf
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
KIRK DELPERDANG + HEALTHCARE DIRECTOR
Kirk Delperdang is a Healthcare Director at Lutz with over 28 years of experience. He provides healthcare enrollment services to clients with a focus on Medicare providers and reimbursement analyses. In addition, he is responsible for leading Lutz's cost report service line.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Healthcare Industry
- Medicare Enrollment
- Financial Analysis
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Healthcare Financial Management Association - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- BA in Accounting, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA
- St. Vincent de Paul, Knights of Columbus, Member
- Active in various youth sports leagues: Aldrich Elementary, Millard Athletic Association, Millard North Schools, Omaha FC, Skutt Catholic High School and YMCA
- Provider Enrollment Update for 2022
- Cost Report Pitfalls
- Medicare Bad Debts
- Cost Reporting
- 2019 OOPS + ASC Proposed Federal Registers
- Provider Enrollment Updates
- CMS Survey & Certification Emergency Preparedness Initiative
- Medicare Provider Enrollment
- Risk Tolerance + Payor Contract Reviews/Audits
- OIG Work Plan Update
- 2018 Proposed Federal Registers + OPPS & ASC
- Classification of Provider-Based Space a Key Consideration for Rural Hospitals
- Summary: CMS 2018 IPPS Proposed Rule
- Medicare Provider Enrollment
- OIG Work Plan 2017
- RHC Billing
- Medicaid Provider Screening and Enrollment + Revalidation
- Provider Enrollment
- Provider-Based Arrangements
- The CFO Outsourcing Option for Hospitals and Why it May Make Sense for You
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.