LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
How to Get Hired: Tips for Landing a New Job in 2017
JOSH BOESCH, LUTZ TALENT PARTNER
Thinking about finding a new job this year? You’re in luck! There are plenty of opportunities with quality employers in Omaha, Lincoln, and throughout Nebraska in 2017. If there were ever a year to make the switch, this is it. Below, we provide tips to help you land a new job that brings the positive change you’re looking for while heightening your career.
If you’re looking to make a change, reaching out to former coworkers and business acquaintances is a great place to start. Whether you grab coffee or lunch or reach out on LinkedIn, leveraging your network puts you in a better position to find a new opportunity. In some instances, someone in your network might know of a specific opening at their organization or another where they can refer you. Worst-case scenario is that people are aware that you’re looking and will think of you if they come across anything that would make sense.
Partner with a Quality Recruiter
Finding a new job is a really time-intensive process. Whether you are unemployed or employed and looking, having a recruiter do the heavy lifting for you can be incredibly valuable. On that same note, because your time is so valuable, finding a quality recruiter that won’t waste your time is important. Some of the other things to look for when identifying a quality recruiter include:
- Your recruiter should have a specialty that aligns with what you are looking for (target market, specializing in a specific industry or type of position they recruit for) Typically, if they’ve made it two years in the recruiting industry, they’re doing something right and you should be able to count on them to deliver.
- You should be able to find their background and referrals online. Make sure to check out if they have people who are willing to vouch for them.
- When you first get in touch with a recruiter, you should be able to get a good feel right away if they’re right for you. Look for a recruiter who’s very thorough and takes time to understand your background and learn about you and your needs before they begin their search.
Partnering with a recruiter has more benefits than the time they’ll save you, though. You’re getting someone to work on your behalf who will take a very proactive approach. Good recruiters also have a large network they can leverage and can connect you to organizations that might not have a job listed but have a need for your skill set. Finally, recruiters can even help you find incredible opportunities that never make it to job boards. Some organizations will turn to recruiters to fill positions without ever advertising those jobs publicly. This gives you the opportunity to find the best jobs available for you to elevate your career to a new level.
Have Multiple Sets of Eyes on Your Resume
Get in contact with a resume writing specialist, or even turn to someone in your network to take a look at your resume. Having multiple sets of eyes is invaluable. In most cases only 1-2% of resumes sent result in an interview, so finding a way to stand out is crucial. With the level of competition for job openings, it’s essential to do everything you can to make your resume stand out from the rest.
Plan on Spending Time on Your Job Search
Finding a new job doesn’t happen overnight. There’s no telling how long it will take to land the right interview and get the process started. From there, it will likely take a minimum of six to eight weeks to arrange the interview, hear back, set up a second interview, wait for an offer, then make the decision to accept the job. If you’re serious about making a switch, you have to be prepared to be proactive and to dedicate time to the process. Otherwise, it will only take longer.
Prepare for the Interview
When you do get an interview, make sure you’re well prepared to take full advantage of the opportunity. For starters, having a firm grasp of the job and its responsibilities is essential, along with doing detailed research about the company itself. You won’t be the only one to take these measures, though. To take it a step further, you can prepare for an interview by doing research on the people you’re meeting and their background to see if there’s any commonalities that can help the conversation. Finally, it’s always a good idea to prepare for common questions and even do a mock interview with a friend. If you’re looking to land an incredible job in 2017, be committed to making your goal happen. By using the tips above, you give yourself a much higher chance for success and can make a move that will move your career forward.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JOSH BOESCH + LUTZ TALENT SHAREHOLDER
Josh Boesch is a Lutz Talent Shareholder with over 14 years of audit and recruiting experience. He heads the Lutz Talent division, a service that helps clients identify “the ideal candidate” to meet their business goals, challenges, culture and vision. His experience as a CPA and his approach to gaining an in-depth understanding of the client’s talent needs, including the skills, experience, cultural understanding and personality fit, has been integral to his success.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Recruiting and Search Services
- Confidential Replacements
- Temporary Staffing
- Salary Reviews
- Position Description & Advertising Analysis
- Screening & Selection Assistance
- Outplacement Services
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Accounting Careers Committee Vice Chairman
- Institute for Internal Auditors - Aksarben Chapter, Member
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association - Aksarben Chapter, Member
- American Payroll Association - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Association for Corporate Growth - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- BSBA, Accounting and Managerial Information Systems, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Volunteer
- Knights of Columbus, Finance Committee and Membership Vice Chairman
- 4 Tips That Will Get You Hired In 2019
- When Evaluating Your Job Offer, Consider These Two Parts
- 4 Reasons Why You Should Outsource Your Recruiting Efforts
- 7 Strategies to Help Your Company Solve the Talent Shortage Puzzle
- Tips for Avoiding 6 Costly Hiring Mistakes
- Understanding Today's Job Seeker
- How to Get Hired: Tips for Landing a New Job in 2017
- Reference Checking? That's Optional, Right?
- Hurry Up and Wait: Jobseeker Reality
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901
601 P Street, Suite 103
Lincoln, NE 68508
3320 James Road, Suite 100
Grand Island, NE 68803