2024 Process Overview
Client Resource Associates
These individuals will continue to aid 1040 clients and assist your Lutz Representative in keeping the tax process moving. They will notify you of information still needed to prepare your return. If you use Lutz for services outside of an individual 1040, you may also hear from these individuals.
You will receive several updates via email, phone, and/or text regarding upcoming deadlines, outstanding information needed, and reminders to sign documents.
Currently, our services are under a perpetual engagement letter. Per recommendation from our legal counsel, starting next year, we will begin sending an engagement letter annually for you to sign. It will be an all-encompassing offering letter tailored based on the services you utilize. If you should engage in additional services during the year, you may receive an updated master letter or addendum regarding the terms for the new services. Please visit your ThreadWorks portal if you want to review the terms covered in our current engagement letter.
Electronic Information Request
For individual clients, an Information Request is provided electronically via ThreadWorks. You should receive an email from email@example.com at the beginning of January that links to a list of initial items needed to prepare your tax return. If you cannot find this email, log in to ThreadWorks > Requests to locate the message. As soon as any information is available, please begin to send, even if you don't have everything, so our teams can get started on your return.
This is a live page, so you can continually upload documents as they become available. Additionally, you can provide documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail, or front desk drop-off. For 1040 clients, we must receive your information by March 15th. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee completion of your return by the April 15th deadline.
Finally, we will utilize this feature beyond just 1040 clients going forward. As the Lutz team works on agreed-upon work, teams will use ThreadWorks to notify you of any missing items necessary to complete work across our various CPA service lines.
Electronic Portal Delivery
We will continue to use the ThreadWorks portal to deliver your tax returns electronically. Due to AICPA Independence Hosting Rules, you are responsible for downloading and retaining these items for your records.
Tax forms that require immediate attention will be provided via paper (i.e., payment vouchers and paper-filed returns).
This will be used to electronically sign forms. If you haven't opted in already, email email@example.com to request e-sign invites when documents need to be signed. If filing jointly, both spouses will receive separate e-signature requests.
January 16th, 2024
– 4th Quarter 2023 Estimate Payments Due
January 22nd, 2024
– Annual Nebraska Sales Tax Filings Due
January 31st, 2024
– W2 and 1099 Filings Due
March 15th, 2024
– S Corporation and Partnership Returns Due
April 15th, 2024
– Individual, C Corporation, and Fiduciary Returns Due
– 1st Quarter 2024 Estimate Payments Due
May 1st, 2024
– Personal Property Tax Returns Due
How do I create a ThreadWorks account?
- ThreadWorks accounts are created when your accounting professional shares files, requests information or sends an eSign request.
- Click the link in the email from firstname.lastname@example.org. ThreadWorks will prompt you to register your account by providing a cell phone number and selecting a password.
How do I log in?
How can I reset my password or change my email address?
- Select the “Forgot Password” link on the ThreadWorks login page.
- Contact your Lutz Representative to request an update to your primary email address.
Why won't Threadworks load after I log in? Why does it say "Invalid User?"
- Confirm you are using the same email address for login as the one you received the notification.
- Contact your Lutz Representative or email email@example.com if you continue to have issues.
How do I send files securely to my accounting professional?
You can upload documents securely by using our secure document upload page.
How do I retrieve documents sent to me?Click on the “Download Files” link in the email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Log in to download the files.
Where do I find the link to the information requested?
- Personal income tax return requests will be sent in early January from email@example.com to the primary email address on your account.
- For business clients, you will receive an information request email from firstname.lastname@example.org to the primary email address on your account once we start your return.
- Log in to ThreadWorks and select "Requests" from the portal home screen to view active requests.
Why is my info request blank?
New clients will not see prior year items in their request until we begin your return. Once you provide us with initial information, we will update your request with items we need. A generic request list may include:
- Prior Year Tax Return
- Interest Income
- Dividend Income
- Capital Gains (1099-B)
- Business Income (Schedule C, Schedule E Rental, Schedule F Farm)
- Mortgage Interest
- Real Estate Taxes
- Charitable Donations
How do I use the information request page?
- To complete a form, select "Complete Form" next to the Tax Questionnaire item.
- To upload files securely, select "Attach" next to the item requested
- To add a comment or mark items as "Does Not Apply," select "More" next to the item requested.
Where can I find my 1099?
- Your custodian, such as TD Ameritrade, Schwab, Robinhood, etc. will provide you with a 1099-B in February.
- You should receive an email notification from your custodian that your tax documents are ready to be accessed. Please upload/attach your 1099 to the request.
- Didn’t receive a digital file? Please scan and upload your paper copy.
If Lutz prepares my K-1, do I still need to upload it?
If Lutz prepares your business return, we will mark off your K-1 on the info request when it is finished. You don’t need to provide us with a copy.
How can I notify you of my estimated payments?
- We need you to provide the dates and amounts paid for each estimate you made in 2023.
- Blank vouchers are not needed. We prefer copies of checks as support.
What are cash vs. non-cash donations?
- Cash Donations – Dollars you gave to a charitable organization.
- Non-Cash Donations – Items you gave to a charitable organization, such as clothing, stocks, cars, etc.
How do I notify Lutz that I have submitted my documents?
- Once you’ve added new information to the request, a ‘Submit for Review’ button will appear at the top and bottom of the page. Click the button to notify us when the information is ready for review.
- You don’t need to wait until you have everything in order to submit a first round of information to allow us to get started on your return.
- We will prompt you to submit additional items after we review your information and notify you of what is still missing.
Did you get my documents?The request auto-saves, so any upload or comment you make we receive instantly. Clicking “submit for review” notifies us with a message but is not required to provide us with your information.
How do I complete an e-sign request?
Click on the “Sign Documents Now” link in the email notification. New users will be asked to create a ThreadWorks account, while existing users will be asked to log in to sign the requested document.
I cannot complete the security questions asked; what do I do?Please contact your Lutz Representative for assistance.
How will my tax return be delivered?
All tax returns are electronically delivered through your ThreadWorks portal. Due to AICPA Independence Hosting Rules, it is your responsibility to download and retain these items for your own records.
Are there tax breaks that no longer apply?
- Stimulus Payment
- $300/$600 of charitable donations (if not itemizing)
- Advanced Child Tax Credit Payments