There is a tendency for investors to focus their attention and investment dollars on assets located within the United States. This tendency is well documented and is referred to as Home Country Bias. People are generally more…read more
LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
PRIMARY BENEFITS OF SELLING YOUR COMPANY TO AN ESOP
BILL KENEDY, LUTZ CONSULTING AND M&A SHAREHOLDER
Business owners sometimes overlook the option of selling their company to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Although this option may not be right for all businesses, it can be a very attractive and flexible alternative for the right type and size of business. The following is a list of some of the potential benefits of an ESOP:
1. The selling owner can still be employed by the business and potentially still control the business.
2. There is no disruption to the business (which typically occurs with a 3rd party sale).
3. The business name and employees remain intact.
4. The transaction can be structured in phases (owner does not have to sell entire business at one time).
5. An ESOP can used borrowed funds to pay the owner for the sale (need to address bank guarantees).
6. ESOPs act as a motivator and incentive-based retirement plan for employees.
- Sales to ESOPs are typically stock sales, giving the owner capital gain treatment for the transaction.
- An S-Corporation that is owned (100%) by an ESOP pays no income taxes! Among other things, that makes the repayment of debt associated with the transaction much easier.
- A C-Corp can effectively deduct the loan payments made on the ESOP bank note.
- C-Corp owners can defer paying tax on the sale (under specific circumstances).
These are some of the more important benefits of an ESOP, but this is not a complete list. Please contact us if you would like to discuss ESOPs in greater detail.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
BILL KENEDY + LUTZ CONSULTING AND M&A SHAREHOLDER
Bill Kenedy is a Lutz Consulting and M&A Shareholder at Lutz. He specializes in business valuation, litigation support, and merger and acquisition advisory services.
AREAS OF FOCUS
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- Accredited in Business Valuation
- Certified in Financial Forensic
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor
- BSBA in Accounting, St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN
- Construction Financial Management Association, Past Treasurer, Board Member
- A Time to Heal (non-profit focused on cancer patients), Board Member
- Primary Benefits of Selling Your Company to an ESOP
- Is An Employee Stock Option Plan Right for Your Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises C&W Transportation on its Sale to Platform Capital
- Our Services, Our People, and Our Results
- Lutz M&A Advises Hands of Heartland on its Recent Investment by Evolve Capital
- Overcoming Obstacles in Business Transition Planning
- Understanding Net Working Capital in Business Transactions
- How to Increase the Value of Your Business
- When is the Right Time to Exit My Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises Triage Staffing on Recapitalization
- Is Your Small Business at Risk of Fraud?
- Why is Forensic Accounting Needed?
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901
601 P Street, Suite 103
Lincoln, NE 68508
3320 James Road, Suite 100
Grand Island, NE 68803