LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
2021 – Is this the year to sell your business?
bill kenedy, LUTZ consulting and m&a shareholder
Lower, middle-market business owners faced a number of challenges navigating through the pandemic in 2020. Many that were in the process of selling their business had plans put on hold or deals derailed by Covid-19. With the vaccine starting to become available and the likelihood of the crisis settling down in 2021, those owners will likely attempt to restart their sale processes. For those considering a sale transaction, what does the world of mergers and acquisitions look like?
Uncertainty Surround Us
There are many uncertainties: Have valuation multiples changed? How will buyers view the business if it has not returned to pre-Covid profitability? If the business improved during Covid, will buyers assume that success will continue? While these questions are important, the most significant factor to consider in the near term is: what will happen to tax rates?
Proposed Tax Rates
With a Democratic President, House, and Senate, there is a reasonably good chance that some, if not all, of President Biden’s tax proposals will be implemented. The most important item for business owners considering a sale of their business relates to the proposed higher maximum rate on long-term capital gains.
Under current law, the maximum Federal tax rate on capital gains is 23.8%. Under the Biden plan, net long-term gains for those with taxable income above $1 million would be taxed at ordinary rates. Biden proposes to raise the highest ordinary rate back to 39.6%. That, along with the 3.8% net investment income tax, would result in a Federal tax rate on the capital gain from the sale of a business of 43.4% (assuming the owner has gain/income over $1M). That is an 82% increase in Federal tax on the capital gain from the sale of a business. It is too early to know if this proposal will pass, and if it does, when it would become effective.
Contact Lutz M&A
Clearly, this is a critical looming issue for business owners. It seems illogical that a new administration would implement this with an economy struggling to recover from a pandemic. But we have witnessed quite a few things we didn’t think would happen in the last year or so, haven’t we! If you would like to discuss your business and these issues with Lutz M&A, please contact us.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
BILL KENEDY + LUTZ CONSULTING AND M&A SHAREHOLDER
Bill Kenedy is a Lutz Consulting and M&A Shareholder at Lutz. He specializes in business valuation, litigation support, and merger and acquisition advisory services.
AREAS OF FOCUS
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- Accredited in Business Valuation
- Certified in Financial Forensic
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor
- BSBA in Accounting, St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN
- Construction Financial Management Association, Past Treasurer, Board Member
- A Time to Heal (non-profit focused on cancer patients), Past Board Member
- The Advantages and Drawbacks of SPACs
- EBITDA Valuation Multiples and How It's Calculated
- Net Working Capital Calculation Dilemma + Customer Deposits/Deferred Revenue
- 2021 - Is This the Year to Sell Your Business?
- Am I Ready to Sell My Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises Wings on its Acquisition by Eagle's Landing
- Selling Your Business? The Financial Information Buyers Want to See
- Can My Business Run Without Me?
- Finding the True Value of Your Business
- How Does the Business Sale Process Work?
- Understanding the Tax Implications of a Business Sale
- The M&A Client Experience
- Lutz M&A Advises Midwest Scaffold Service on its Sale to Sunbelt Rentals
- 5 Key Purchase Agreement Considerations
- Net Working Capital: What is it and How is it Used?
- Issues During the Due Diligence Process in M&A Transactions
- Lutz M&A Advises Fantasy's, Inc. on its Acquisition by Casey's General Stores
- Primary Benefits of Selling Your Company to an ESOP
- Is An Employee Stock Option Plan Right for Your Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises C&W Transportation on its Sale to Platform Capital
- Our Services, Our People, and Our Results
- Lutz M&A Advises Hands of Heartland on its Recent Investment by Evolve Capital
- Lutz M&A Advises Labor Source on its Recapitalization by Great Range Capital
- Overcoming Obstacles in Business Transition Planning
- Understanding Net Working Capital in Business Transactions
- How to Increase the Value of Your Business
- When is the Right Time to Exit My Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises Triage Staffing on Recapitalization
- Lutz M&A Advises Hockenbergs on Recent Sale to Trimark USA LLC
- Lutz M&A Advises Focus Respiratory on its Recent Buyout by Valley Healthcare Group
- Is Your Small Business at Risk of Fraud?
- Lutz M&A Advises CCW, LLC on its Recent Buyout
- Lutz M&A Advises NIFCO Mechanical Systems on Recent Sale
- Lutz M&A Advises Midwest Door & Hardware on Recent Sale
- Why is Forensic Accounting Needed?
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.