LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
4 Tips That Will Get You Hired in 2019
JOSH BOESCH, LUTZ TALENT SHAREHOLDER
The new year brings new goals, resolutions, and the opportunity to start fresh with your career. Whether this means jumpstarting your job search or switching career paths entirely, you can take a few steps to make the coming year more enjoyable and prosperous than the last. Here are four quick and effective tips to help you get hired in 2019:
1. Give a Great First Impression
Creating a unique and tailored resume is a great way to stand out from the crowd and give a good first impression. Start by making sure you’re using a current resume format for your industry. Keep it brief and ensure you’re listing valuable skills and tasks related to the position you are applying for. Be sure to highlight your track record of success. Key accomplishments can distinguish you from the rest.
Double check your resume for spelling and grammatical errors. Also, if you can, try to get someone in the industry you plan to work in to review and edit your resume for content. If you don’t know anyone in the industry, see if a family member, friend, or even your recruiter is willing to review it for you.
2. Network, Network, Network
Let people know that you’re willing to make a move and do it with confidence by networking. It’s good to attend local conferences or networking events for your industry.
You can also reach out to old colleagues and friends. Catching up over lunch or grabbing some coffee will help you stay top of mind when they hear of new career opportunities.
Also, you can reconnect with past clients by sending out handwritten thank you notes. This helps you reestablish a relationship through personalization while letting them know about your interest in new career opportunities.
3. Set Yourself Up for Interview Success
If you want to do your best on your interview, you have to set yourself up for success with a little preparation. Know what the hiring manager is looking for and do your research in advance. Spend a few hours getting to know all you can about the company you’ll interview with. This includes doing in-depth research on the company’s history and reviewing current news releases.
Also, prepare for the interview by doing a mock interview. Practice answering general questions, and prepare a few answers ahead of time. In addition, plan what you’re going to wear and take any required tests before the interview. Make sure you also know how to find the location of the interview or test your technology if you’re doing a virtual interview.
4. Don’t Get Greedy
When you’ve passed the interview process and are going through the salary negotiation phase, it’s important not to get too greedy. Too many ideal candidates get caught up in how much they’re getting paid now or what the offer is, and aren’t focusing on the right things.
Remember that a small pay raise today usually won’t buy you long-term happiness. Focus on the role, responsibilities/duties, team, culture, and how it lines up with your long-term career aspirations first and foremost. Usually, if it is the right fit, a fair and competitive offer will follow naturally. A recruiter can help you navigate these waters by assisting you in negotiating an equitable salary offer and benefits package.
In summary, getting hired in 2019 calls for having a plan. By using these four tips, you can make a move to a more prosperous year.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JOSH BOESCH + LUTZ TALENT SHAREHOLDER
Josh Boesch is a Lutz Talent Shareholder with over 14 years of audit and recruiting experience. He heads the Lutz Talent division, a service that helps clients identify “the ideal candidate” to meet their business goals, challenges, culture and vision. His experience as a CPA and his approach to gaining an in-depth understanding of the client’s talent needs, including the skills, experience, cultural understanding and personality fit, has been integral to his success.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Recruiting and Search Services
- Confidential Replacements
- Temporary Staffing
- Salary Reviews
- Position Description & Advertising Analysis
- Screening & Selection Assistance
- Outplacement Services
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Accounting Careers Committee Vice Chairman
- Institute for Internal Auditors - Aksarben Chapter, Member
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association - Aksarben Chapter, Member
- American Payroll Association - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Association for Corporate Growth - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- BSBA, Accounting and Managerial Information Systems, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Volunteer
- Knights of Columbus, Finance Committee and Membership Vice Chairman
- 4 Reasons Why You Didn't Get the Job
- 4 Tips That Will Get You Hired In 2019
- When Evaluating Your Job Offer, Consider These Two Parts
- 4 Reasons Why You Should Outsource Your Recruiting Efforts
- 7 Strategies to Help Your Company Solve the Talent Shortage Puzzle
- Tips for Avoiding 6 Costly Hiring Mistakes
- Understanding Today's Job Seeker
- How to Get Hired: Tips for Landing a New Job in 2017
- Reference Checking? That's Optional, Right?
- Hurry Up and Wait: Jobseeker Reality
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901