LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
PRIMARY BENEFITS OF SELLING YOUR COMPANY TO AN ESOP
BILL KENEDY, LUTZ CONSULTING AND M&A SHAREHOLDER
Business owners sometimes overlook the option of selling their company to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Although this option may not be right for all businesses, it can be a very attractive and flexible alternative for the right type and size of business. The following is a list of some of the potential benefits of an ESOP:
1. The selling owner can still be employed by the business and potentially still control the business.
2. There is no disruption to the business (which typically occurs with a 3rd party sale).
3. The business name and employees remain intact.
4. The transaction can be structured in phases (owner does not have to sell entire business at one time).
5. An ESOP can used borrowed funds to pay the owner for the sale (need to address bank guarantees).
6. ESOPs act as a motivator and incentive-based retirement plan for employees.
- Sales to ESOPs are typically stock sales, giving the owner capital gain treatment for the transaction.
- An S-Corporation that is owned (100%) by an ESOP pays no income taxes! Among other things, that makes the repayment of debt associated with the transaction much easier.
- A C-Corp can effectively deduct the loan payments made on the ESOP bank note.
- C-Corp owners can defer paying tax on the sale (under specific circumstances).
These are some of the more important benefits of an ESOP, but this is not a complete list. Please contact us if you would like to discuss ESOPs in greater detail.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
BILL KENEDY + LUTZ CONSULTING AND M&A SHAREHOLDER
Bill Kenedy is a Lutz Consulting and M&A Shareholder at Lutz. He specializes in business valuation, litigation support, and merger and acquisition advisory services.
AREAS OF FOCUS
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- Accredited in Business Valuation
- Certified in Financial Forensic
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor
- BSBA in Accounting, St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN
- Construction Financial Management Association, Past Treasurer, Board Member
- A Time to Heal (non-profit focused on cancer patients), Past Board Member
- 2021 - Is This the Year to Sell Your Business?
- Am I Ready to Sell My Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises Wings on its Acquisition by Eagle's Landing
- Selling Your Business? The Financial Information Buyers Want to See
- Can My Business Run Without Me?
- Finding the True Value of Your Business
- How Does the Business Sale Process Work?
- Understanding the Tax Implications of a Business Sale
- The M&A Client Experience
- Lutz M&A Advises Midwest Scaffold Service on its Sale to Sunbelt Rentals
- 5 Key Purchase Agreement Considerations
- Net Working Capital: What is it and How is it Used?
- Issues During the Due Diligence Process in M&A Transactions
- Lutz M&A Advises Fantasy's, Inc. on its Acquisition by Casey's General Stores
- Primary Benefits of Selling Your Company to an ESOP
- Is An Employee Stock Option Plan Right for Your Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises C&W Transportation on its Sale to Platform Capital
- Our Services, Our People, and Our Results
- Lutz M&A Advises Hands of Heartland on its Recent Investment by Evolve Capital
- Lutz M&A Advises Labor Source on its Recapitalization by Great Range Capital
- Overcoming Obstacles in Business Transition Planning
- Understanding Net Working Capital in Business Transactions
- How to Increase the Value of Your Business
- When is the Right Time to Exit My Business?
- Lutz M&A Advises Triage Staffing on Recapitalization
- Lutz M&A Advises Hockenbergs on Recent Sale to Trimark USA LLC
- Lutz M&A Advises Focus Respiratory on its Recent Buyout by Valley Healthcare Group
- Is Your Small Business at Risk of Fraud?
- Lutz M&A Advises CCW, LLC on its Recent Buyout
- Lutz M&A Advises NIFCO Mechanical Systems on Recent Sale
- Lutz M&A Advises Midwest Door & Hardware on Recent Sale
- Why is Forensic Accounting Needed?
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.