LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
did you receive approval for YOUR paycheck protection program loan? what now?
Once you receive the good news that your loan was approved, you may begin to question, “what are the next steps?” Below are suggestions and considerations to utilize your loan effectively.
Deposit the funds into a separate checking account dedicated to the PPP Loan proceeds.
- This will aid in tracking the funds used for the specified purposes.
- If a copy of the bank activity is requested, you now have a separate account versus having to share all operating bank activity.
Maintain a “journal” of the effects COVID has had on your business.
- Loan certification required an assertion that COVID-19 impacted the business.
- The diary/journal could be electronic or written.
- The entries could be weekly or as needed.
- This log can provide information and specific examples of how your business was affected from employees to customers, vendors and more!
Planning ahead will facilitate the maximum opportunity for Loan Forgiveness for the period of eight weeks after the date of your loan.
Are your operations currently shut down?
- If you have staff furloughs, when should you have the employees return?
- If you are currently paying staff while operations are shut down – what are my options?
- Modeling various scenarios may aid in your decision-making process.
Maintain adequate records for support of Payroll Costs.
- Prepare the data for submission related to each payroll including:
- Wages – please note, commodity wages may receive different treatment.
- Health Care Costs using a reasonable allocation method.
- Retirement Plan Employer Contributions
- Ensure you are not “double-dipping” which would sacrifice loan forgiveness opportunities.
- If paying employees under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act for Emergency Sick Pay or Emergency FMLA, maintain adequate records as these amounts will be adjustments to your Payroll Costs.
- You cannot participate in the following CARES act benefits:
- Employee Retention Credit
- Delay of Employer Tax Payments
- Keep a separate file with invoices paid for the following:
- Mortgage Interest
Updated 4/8/2020 at 4:00 PM
On May 19th, 2020, the USDA announced the details of the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP). The program will provide $16 billion of direct payments…
Back in 1997, the markets were roaring. The Dow Jones industrial average was completing its third straight year of 20-percent-plus returns, essentially…
The stock market has staged a strong rally in recent weeks, gaining over 32% since bottoming on March 23rd. At this point, the S&P 500 is within 12% of its previous high…
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 200
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901