LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
Tax-Related Provisions for Businesses
The CARES Act introduced several retroactive business tax changes. A highlight of the modifications include the following:
- Qualified improvement property is now 15-year property instead of 39-year property effective 1/1/2018.
- The modification corrects an oversight from the TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act) affecting certain restaurant and retail businesses property. Now, this property once again qualifies for bonus depreciation.
- Net operating losses (NOLs) for years starting in 2018-2020, can be carried back 5 years.
- The NOL 80% limitation has been suspended until tax years starting in 2021.
- In other words, the taxable income limitation on the use of the NOL will be temporarily removed to allow the NOL to fully offset income back to 2013 at the earliest.
- Excess business losses removed until 2021.
- The limit on deducting businesses losses in excess of $250,000 (single) or $500,000 (joint) will be temporarily repealed backdated to 2018, not taking effect until 2021.
- Business Interest Limitation Adjustments
- 163(j) business interest expense limitation is now 50% (instead of 30%) for tax years beginning in 2019 (except partnerships) and 2020.
- 163(j) business interest limitation adjustments for 2019 partnerships are made at the partner level partially in 2019 and partially in 2020 subject to special elections.
- Full recovery of corporate AMT credits for tax years beginning in 2019.
- AMT was repealed as part of the TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act). Corporate AMT credits were to be available as refundable credits over several years ending in 2021.
Updated 4/2/2020 at 12:00 PM
Whether you are looking to purchase a business, sell a business, or ensure your current business maintains its financial health, financial statements are key to making the right…
Lutz, a Nebraska-based business solutions firm, is excited to announce their preferred business partnership with Bryan Health Connect. Through this alliance, Lutz’s specialized accounting and healthcare consulting…
With the first Presidential debate one week away, the focus on the election is likely to intensify. Many investors are concerned about the potential impact on their portfolio, and the financial media knows exactly how…
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901