LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
4 reasons why you didn’t get the job
josh boesch, LUTZ Talent shareholder
Finding a job is a tough process. It can be frustrating to apply for jobs and get rejected, or worse, to never hear anything back at all. There are many reasons why you may not have landed a job. Some reasons are completely out of your control, but sometimes it may be that you missed an essential step in the application process.
Here are 4 reasons why people do not get hired, and what you can do to maximize your chances of employment.
#1-Your Resume Wasn’t Seen
Even if you qualify for a position, there is a chance that your resume could be overlooked. One reason may be that your resume doesn’t reflect your experience as it relates to the job that you are applying for. To avoid this, it is a good idea to make a new resume for each job you apply for. Tailoring your resume to highlight how your experience fills their qualifications, will give you a better chance of moving forward in the hiring process.
Learn more about resume do’s and don’ts to ensure yours is in tip top shape.
#2-The Interview Didn’t Go Well
Being invited for an interview usually means that the organization believes you have the necessary skills for the job. The real purpose of an interview is to see if you are a good fit for the organization. There are many reasons why an interview may take you out of the running for a position. For example, it may come up that you have a conflict of interest. Situations like this are out of your control.
What you can control in an interview is how you interact with the interviewer and any other people you may meet. The best way to rock an interview is to go into it feeling prepared and confident. To do this, take some time to learn about the job, company, and individuals you will meet before you interview.
You can also get additional insights on how to best prepare for your interview by reading the following articles:
- How to Answer These 4 Frequently Asked Interview Questions
- 7 Questions You Should Always Ask in an Interview
- Tips for Acing Your Interview
When it comes to hiring, one of the most important considerations for employers is pay rate. If the budget is for an entry-level position, they are expecting to fill that position with someone they can pay at that rate. If you are overqualified, your expected rate of pay is likely higher. If public, make sure that you make it clear to the employer that you will accept the posted rate of pay. A recruiter can help with ensuring that compensation is not an issue early in the process and can also assist with negotiating the terms of the offer if needed.
#4-You Were too Late
Showing up late to an interview is an obvious mistake, but did you know you can also show up late to the application? The internet is the most common way to search and apply for jobs. Unfortunately, postings for open positions may stay online long after they have hired someone. If you are looking at a job posting that is more than 30 days old, you may want to double-check with the company to see if they are still hiring. A recruiter can help to keep updated on the general status of a position.
Each application is different. These 4 reasons why you didn’t get the job may not be the reason every time, but being aware of them may just help you get hired. If you have any questions, or are looking for current opportunities, please contact us today.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JOSH BOESCH + LUTZ TALENT SHAREHOLDER
Josh Boesch is a Lutz Talent Shareholder with over 14 years of audit and recruiting experience. He heads the Lutz Talent division, a service that helps clients identify “the ideal candidate” to meet their business goals, challenges, culture and vision. His experience as a CPA and his approach to gaining an in-depth understanding of the client’s talent needs, including the skills, experience, cultural understanding and personality fit, has been integral to his success.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Recruiting and Search Services
- Confidential Replacements
- Temporary Staffing
- Salary Reviews
- Position Description & Advertising Analysis
- Screening & Selection Assistance
- Outplacement Services
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Accounting Careers Committee Vice Chairman
- Institute for Internal Auditors - Aksarben Chapter, Member
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association - Aksarben Chapter, Member
- American Payroll Association - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Association for Corporate Growth - Nebraska Chapter, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- BSBA, Accounting and Managerial Information Systems, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Volunteer
- Knights of Columbus, Finance Committee and Membership Vice Chairman
- 4 Reasons Why You Didn't Get the Job
- 4 Tips That Will Get You Hired In 2019
- When Evaluating Your Job Offer, Consider These Two Parts
- 4 Reasons Why You Should Outsource Your Recruiting Efforts
- 7 Strategies to Help Your Company Solve the Talent Shortage Puzzle
- Tips for Avoiding 6 Costly Hiring Mistakes
- Understanding Today's Job Seeker
- How to Get Hired: Tips for Landing a New Job in 2017
- Reference Checking? That's Optional, Right?
- Hurry Up and Wait: Jobseeker Reality
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.
13616 California Street, Suite 200
Omaha, NE 68154
747 N Burlington Avenue, Suite 401
Hastings, NE 68901