LUTZ BUSINESS INSIGHTS
Why You Should Automate Expense Reporting, and How to Do It
KRISTEN CURTIS, CLIENT ACCOUNTING SERVICES MANAGER
Targeted AssistanceThere are other benefits that apply specifically to online applications that are designed to simplify and streamline expense reporting, for example:
1. Built-in policy controls
How many times have you gotten an expense report that includes something like a $179.63 restaurant receipt when you had set a $150 limit for two-person client dinners? Or an airline ticket in Business Class when you had specified coach only? You can detail your company’s policies as you set up your online expense reporting solution, so employees always see them.
2. Capture paperwork
Everyone loses receipts – and sometimes, entire expense reports that took too much time to create. Your employees can use a smartphone app to accompany these applications to enter expenses and snap photos of receipts that can be attached to reports. Some will even “read” the receipt—even emailed receipts—and create categorized entries. Your staff can also upload credit card transactions.
3. Easier, faster troubleshooting
You may have had employees complain that they weren’t reimbursed the amount turned in on their report. Rather than digging through papers stuffed in file folders, you can easily and quickly retrieve the electronic record to explore the discrepancy.
How do you transfer expense report data to your accounting system? If you and your employees manage expenses on a dedicated website, your numbers can move easily into accounting software like QuickBooks.
5. Smarter decision-making
When you need to cut costs by minimizing travel expenses, you’ll have easy access to historical data that can help you spot problem areas.
6. Centralized control, and notifications
You are the hub of your expense management solution. Reports come in and are automatically checked for policy violations and duplicate data, then are submitted for payment. Reminders may be sent when an expense report is due, has been submitted for approval, or has been approved.
7. Happier employees
Instead of calling or emailing you to check on the status of a payment, employees can track their expense report’s status to see where it is in the pipeline. In addition, expense report applications accelerate the payment process.
Several OptionsThere’s more than one provider of expense management websites; each has its own set of tools and support. All provide a user experience designed for simplicity, speed, and ease. If you’re struggling with expenses and need help tracking them (or minimizing them, to improve cash flow) we’d be happy to help. Connect with us, and we can advise you on managing your expenses in more efficient ways.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
KRISTEN CURTIS + CLIENT ACCOUNTING SERVICES MANAGER
Kristen Curtis joined the firm in 2000 and serves as a Client Accounting Services Manager. She has significant experience in small business accounting and advisory services; new business consulting; and software implementation and training.
AREAS OF FOCUS
AFFILIATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Certified Public Accountant
- BSBA in Accounting, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- Presbyterian Church of the Cross, Session Member, Christian Education, Committee Member
- P.E.O., Philanthropic Educational Organization, Member
- Hiring an Independent Contractor? Your Responsibilities
- 5 Common Payroll Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Onboarding Your First Employee? Your New Tax Responsibilities
- Why You Should Automate Expense Reporting, and How to Do It
- Service-Based Business? How QuickBooks Helps You Track Time
- 4 Ways QuickBooks Helps You Accelerate Receivables
- Are You Following Best Practices for Dealing With Form 1099-Misc?
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS!
We tap into the vast knowledge and experience within our organization to provide you with monthly content on topics and ideas that drive and challenge your company every day.